Written for Diskreet by our wonderful contributor Lauren Meisner
I went to a girls night this weekend and challenged myself to make every dish I brought from scratch.
As someone who can barely fry an egg, I needed recipes that required minimal steps and quick prep time. And as it turns out, this is not easy to find!
I scoured Pinterest forever until I finally found (relatively) healthy and yummy recipes that even the most domestically-challenged can make.
So here are three, easy girls night recipes that will I M P R E S S. These include adjustments I made to the original recipes (which I have linked below under each) to make them simpler and/or yummier!
And now you won’t have to spend like 3 hours scrolling through Pinterest looking at cupcake art that you could never do yourself.
Full disclosure: I only made the first two myself but a friend brought the third and it was too good not to share.
Crispy Avocado Fries with Chipotle Aioli
This first recipe is basically a combination of your two favourite foods: avocado and fries.
It’s healthy, filling, and basic AF.
Everyone will love it and you can be sure it’ll make an appearance on an Insta story or two over the course of the night.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 4 x large avocados
- 1 x lime
- Salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 x eggs
- 2 x cups panko bread crumbs
- Olive oil
- Praise Chipotle aioli
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 Degrees F. Coat baking sheet in olive oil.
2. Slice avocado into wedges, squeeze lime juice over slices and season with salt and pepper.
3. Roll slices in flour then dip in egg and coat in panko breadcrumbs.
4. Place slices on greased pan and drizzle slices with olive oil to ensure they are extra crispy!
Bake for 20-25 minutes in oven.
Serve with Praise Chipotle dipping sauce.
S’mores Snack Mix
This s’mores mix is a sweet and salty dream.
It’s super quick and easy to make (like literally 5 minutes), looks cute AF, and will have all your girlfriends saying, “Oh my God, take this away from me!” by their third glass of wine.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 2 minutes
- 200g of Arnott’s Tiny Teddy in any flavour
- 1/2 bag of mini marshmallows
- 1.5 cups of mini pretzels
- 1 x bag of dark chocolate chips
1. Mix all ingredients together in a big bowl, keeping 1/2 of the bag of chocolate chips to the side
2. Take 2 tbsp of chocolate chips and heat up on oven or in microwave until liquid
3. Pour chocolate into a Ziploc bag, cut a whole in the corner, and drizzle chocolate all over the mix, turning the mix as you go
Serve in mixing bowl or in individual jars.
Cheesy Bacon Spinach Cob Loaf
It’s cheese and bacon and bread baked together.
Need I say more?
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 55 minutes
- 500g cob loaf
- 1 x tablespoon olive oil
- 1 x small onion, finely chopped
- 200g bacon, diced
- 2.5 x tablespoons chopped chives
- 250g block cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup cream
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1.5 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 200g spinach leaves, finely chopped or mashed in blender
- 1 French stick or baguette, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
2. Cut 4cm off top of cob loaf to form lid. Scoop bread from centre of loaf, leaving 1.5cm edge. Tear or roughly chop bread pieces.
3. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and bacon. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until bacon is browned and onion has softened. Add spinach to mixture and stir for 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
4. Add chives to bacon mixture. Stir in creamed cheese. Mix until combined. Add cream, sour cream and grated cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Spoon mixture into loaf. Arrange lid, bread pieces and sliced baguette in a single layer around loaf. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly toasted.
Sprinkle top of dip with extra chives and serve warm.
If you have any yummy recipes for a girls night, I would love to hear them! Feel free to reach out with any suggestions.